In order to generate CHM help files, HelpNDoc relies on the Microsoft HTML Help Workshop compiler which is a very old software which doesn't support Unicode. For it to work correctly, you need to make sure that:
- Your Windows is setup in the target language of the help file;
- The "Project language" and "Project charset" settings are correctly setup. They can be accessed using the "Project Options" button in the "Project" group of the "Home" ribbon tab.
Also, for some languages, a specific trick must be activated. Here is how this can be done:
- Click the top part of the generate help button to show the "Generate documentation" window;
- Select your CHM build;
- Click "Customize" if this is not already visible;
- In the "Template settings" tab, check the "Use project charset for topics" option;
- Generate your documentation again.